Sunday 6 December 2009

focus group

Here is the focus group, just additional primary research which we can reference to and put in the appendix.

Focus Group

2 friends bought their mums along for a quick chat about make up and the brands they use. Lady 1 and 2 are 20 years old and Lady 3 and 4 are there mothers.

What make up brands do you buy?
Lady 1: I love mac make up, love the range of colours they do!
Lady 2: Me too, their blusher shimmers on your skin. I also use Bobbi brown for foundation and concealer as it blends well.
Lady 3: I use all Laura Mercier products as it is water-based so it is really good for my skin.
Lady 4: I am committed to buying the best skincare products, I always ask for La Prairie for Christmas and birthdays, and buy a lot of crème de la mer.

Why do you buy these brands?
Lady 4: For me, it is always about performance, it needs to be effective! Crème de la mer and La Prairie are very expensive, but I can see my skin become softer and tighter.
Lady 3: Yes, I agree with that, I like simple but effective.
Lady 1: Yea MAC is great for eye shadows and colour, but if it didn’t give me good coverage I wouldn’t buy it.
Lady 2: That is what I find with Bobbi Brown, it gives me even skin tone.

Do you stay loyal to these brands?
Lady 1: Most of my make up is MAC but I can be swayed to other brands. I wouldn’t spend as much money on a lip gloss so I always buy a different lip gloss from a different brand every time I run out of one.
Lady 2: I do stay loyal to brands, but I will try other make up to see if I can find something even better!
Lady 3: I hate trying to find make up that’s why I am loyal to Laura Mercier, it does everything I want it do to.
Lady 4: I think it may be an age thing, I used to try different make up all the time, but as you get older it’s about what works for you.

Is there anything that could move you from one brand to another?
Lady 2: Well the cosmetic stand needs to be exciting for me, I love the displays showing the make up in a really quirky way.
Lady 4: it is nice to get some added extras, free samples a really nice bag with the make up in. makes you feel special and that the product worth the money you paid!

Is there anything that a brand needs to have in general to be a popular cosmetic brand?
Lady 1: make up is coloured so white logo’s do not work, font needs to be bold and stand out.
Lady 2: yea black is the main colour for make up as it look sleek
Lady 4: give a service as well as a product. I hate just purchasing make up I like to get something personal with it.

Do you think there is a certain market for skin care?
Lady 4: I think my daughter cares less about her skin and more about how it looks. Lady 2: I am quite lucky I have quite clear skin, but I only really use cleansing wipes, my main focus is the make up.
Lady 1: I do think younger women are starting to think more long term about their skin though. If they start looking after it now then it should be in better condition later. Thinking in advance!
Lady 3: I think them women are slightly older then these 2 girls, the young professional market. Lady 2: I do know quite a lot of girls though that will spend their money on make up rather than clothes, my friend’s younger sister is only 14 and she buys Laura Mercier products! I think that’s slightly too far, but shows how broad the cosmetic market is!

Well have you heard of the brand Shu Uemura?
Lady 3: Yes it is sold in our Space:NK
Lady 4: I have seen it, but never used it.
Lady 1: No I don’t know the brand
Lady 2: Yes my friend has some of the eyelashes

What do you think of the brand?
Lady 2: quite theatrical, the eyelashes are quite avant guarde!
Lady 3: yes the display that is with the make up shows quite heavy eyes, so it is something that hasn’t interested me.

The brand is known for its cleansing oils as well as it’s accessories like the eyelashes. The oils are made from depsea water and are extremely kind to the skin. Do any of these products interest you? (give brief description of the products and show visuals)
Lady 2: The cleansing oils do not really interest me, but I am sure I wouldn’t mind them as a present! The eyelashes are really extravagant and I could imagine myself wearing them for special occasions.
Lady 1: My skin is quite bad so these cleansing oils could help my skin get better.
Lady 4: The cleansing oils sound very delicate like the brand crème de la mer which I am using so I would happily try it, but I am quite stuck in my ways!
Lady 3: Me too, however depsea water sounds very natural and that is something that I look for with skincare so I would definitely give them a try.


Hope that is all ok
Emma Cubs x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers